As my little boy was leaving his soccer class a week ago, he wouldn’t stop kicking the ball…even though we had already reached the parking lot…thank goodness for my blood curdling scream that stopped him in his tracks right as a huge black truck was coming along. Yikes! He cried and cried that I had scared him but I told him he scared me much worse. So for a few days I pondered on what I could do to stop him from kicking the ball once practice is over and eureka! I found the solution when I went into the fabric store and found this cute print in his favorite color that just happens to match his soccer shirt. So I decided to make him a soccer ball bag. It fits up to full size soccer balls so he will hopefully get many years of use out of it.
- two 15x20 piece of Fabric
- 4 yards nylon rope/drawstring
- 6 inches nylon webbing
- sewing machine
- Cut fabric to 15x20 pieces
- Roll top edge 1/4 inch on both pieces and press.
- Sew seam.
- On top sides of both pieces roll edges down 5 inches and iron (don’t worry about triangular edge at end of 5 inches. This will not show in finished product).
- Sew seam.
- To make casing for drawstring (on wrong side) fold over upper edge one inch (1”) and press.
- Then sew over seam from rolled edge.
- Cut webbing into 3” pieces. Fold each piece in half. Pin to lower sides of one of the fabric pieces (wrong side)about 5/8 inch from the lower edge.
- Sew securely in place.
- With wrong sides together, pin both pieces of fabric together on sides and lower edge.
- Sew seam about 1/4 around (for extra security add a zigzag stitch around too).
- Trim bottom corners.
- Pull inside out (use bone folder to poke out corners).
- Cut nylon rope/drawstring into Two 2 yard pieces. On one side thread rope up through webbing from bottom moving up and through one side of the casing over through the other side of the casing and back down to meet other end of rope and then tie end.one side should look like this when completed…
- Repeat on other side. Both sides view when complete. Trim ends to match.
- Congratulations you’ve got a soccer bag!