Friday, February 25, 2011

Quilled Name Wall-Art

I have been so excited to finish this last project that I have been MIA in a few departments in my day-to-day life.IMG_7528 A while ago, a quilling project from Blue Cricket Design crossed by path that I just couldn’t get out of my mind.  I had wanted to put up Vivian’s name on the wall in some way, but have it still look feminine and artistic—not to cartoonish or “same-old, same-old” if you know what I mean.  When I saw this post I knew exactly what I wanted to do.  Quill her name!

Quilling (sometimes called paper filigree) is an old, old craft from that dates back centuries actually though it has gone in and out of style.  My mother and grandma both quilled for a time, and I have loved looking at the treasures they made and wished that they would teach me too.

I had found a  couple of books at Michael’s on clearance on quilling before then (ironically enough, one of them is mentioned in the blog post) and realized when I saw that post that I had to just go for it and teach myself.   

This awesome book Quilling Techniques and Inspiration is one of my favorites on the topic.  Her designs are so, well, shall I say sophisticated, that I have been in raptures just looking at them.

   quilling inspiration book

So, after searching around in a few different craft stores with no luck on the topic of quilling, I finally “googled” quilling and found this Family owned and operated online store from whom I’ve bought all of my supplies, and they have been wonderful to work with.

I kind of did my letters in a “free-form” kind of manner and just tried to make them individuals out of a whole without worrying about them all having too many matching elements.  I love how it turned out!

Here’s one of my favorite letters!

IMG_7536

I had so much fun with this quilling stuff, I can see a future addiction coming on ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment