Sunday, October 27, 2013

Gluten Free Granola

In April this year, we found out that our middle child is gluten intolerant.  We had been buying conventional cereal and having that for a quick breakfast a lot, but when we had to make a switch to gluten free fare, we were dying at the prices.  We didn’t trust anything that didn’t claim “gluten free” because we have learned that when the ingredients list “natural flavorings” quite a bit of the time there actually is gluten in those oh so “natural” flavorings.  Any-how, because oatmeal is good for nursing moms, we’ve been having oatmeal, steel cut oats, or granola pretty much every week day for breakfast (on weekends we make pancakes, or eggs and bacon.  Yum.)  It’s funny because at first my kids were not happy with the whole oatmeal kick…and actually there was a day when my oldest went on a rampage about “eggs and oatmeal”.  It was very annoying for a mom who was just trying to keep all  her kids healthy and well-fed without eating the majority of meals that our family was used to.  But now, my kids adore oatmeal and my oldest is a HUGE fan of my granola.

I’ve been experimenting since April or May on a granola combination that is gluten free and only has healthy ingredients to start my children’s day out with and I am happy to say, I think I finally have come up with a formula that is salty-sweet (my favorite) and just the right blend of spices too.  This recipe makes quite a bit so it lasts us just shy of two weeks with the four of us (and this includes that my son pretty much has made this his go-to snack after school everyday).  I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

 

Gluten Free Granola

Gluten Free Granola

Makes about 2 gallons

 

Dries:

8 Cups of Gluten Free Oats

1/2 cup shredded coconut

1 cup nuts of choice (optional…we love cashews)

1/4 – 1/2 cup sesame seeds

1/4 – 1/2 cup sunflower seeds

4 Tablespoons – 1/2 cup flax seeds

2 Tablespoons Nutritional Yeast Flakes (optional)

 

Spices:

1 Tablespoon ground Cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/2 Tablespoon Himalayan Pink Salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

 

Sweeteners:

1 cup coconut oil

2/3 cup molasses

1/2 cup honey

1/4 cup coconut sugar

Method:  Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.  In a very large bowl mix dries until well combined.  In a separate small bowl, mix spices until combined.  Add spices to oat mixture and stir until combined.  In a saucepan on the stove on a low temperature, stir in the sweeteners until combined…do not heat excessively. Pour gently into oat mixture and fold in until well incorporated.  Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.  Pour oats onto baking sheets and place in oven to toast. Bake for 20 minutes.  Afterwards, if desired, can add craisins or raisins.

 

Granola ingredients

I Added this photo because when I was getting ready to make this today for the blog, my husband commented that this looked like “Food Art”.  Thank you.  Thank you very much

I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment