Sunday, June 26, 2011

Green and Red Pepper Jelly

IMG_8642

After canning salsa, I still had a lot of peppers left so I decided to make red pepper jelly and green pepper jelly.

If you’ve never had either, you’re really missing out on a delicious condiment!  The way I like to eat this stuff is you take a block of cream cheese and smother it with the jelly and have it as a dip with crackers.  Sooo yummy!  Sometimes we have it with tortilla chips too.  It’s a Southern tradition and I got my green pepper jelly recipe from my aunt who lived in Nashville for a while and would make it for Christmas every year.  I added jalapenos to give it a little more kick so that’s an option you can try if you like a little more spice. { Just remember if you add jalapenos, you may want to wear gloves.  I forgot and touched my eye to take out my contacts that night and even though I had washed my hands I felt that lovely burn for a few hours because some of the oils from the jalapenos must have still been in my nails or something.}  The recipe is so sweet I think the jalapenos are a perfect compliment. 

This would make a lovely part of a neighbor gift for Christmas and would be really cute if you put it in a small basket with a serving plate, crackers and cream cheese and maybe a wooden serving spoon.  So if you find yourself with an over abundance of peppers.  Try this recipe.

 

Susan’s Green Pepper Jelly

6 large green peppers, cut in pieces

1-2 jalapeños (cored, seeded and chopped)

1 1/2 cups cider vinegar (4%-6% acidity)

Green food coloring

6 cups sugar

1/2 tsp. salt

1 tsp. crushed red pepper

1 bottle liquid pectin

Put half the peppers and half the vinegar into blender container and process at LIQUEFY until pepper is liquefied (or you could use an immersion blender like I did).  Pour into a saucepan.  Repeat with remaining peppers and vinegar.  Add red pepper, sugar and salt.  Bring to a boil and add pectin.  Boil until mixture thickens when dropped from a spoon (about 20 minutes).  Add a few drops of green food coloring.  Pour into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace, and seal.  Makes about 4-6 half-pints.

No comments:

Post a Comment