Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Kindergarten Graduation Cake

I was thrilled at the end of May when my friend and next door neighbor asked me to make a cake for her son’s kindergarten graduation that served at least 76 people. 

I was a little concerned about the size I would need to make it in order to feed that many, so after looking at design ideas and figuring out servings for a few days I decided to make a cake that is similar to this one I found on the Wilton Cake website called “Tomorrow’s Stars”.   I did mine in the school colors and of course, it’s not exactly the same.  Their’s is pretty cute but I must say, I think mine is cuter. ;)

IMG_8653

I realized as I was making the little fondant people that for some reason I could not for the life of me find a gingerbread girl cookie cutter in my 101 cookie cutter set that I got for my wedding from someone who must have had great foresight.  Now I’m wondering if the older version’s of the set don’t include a girl.  If not that’s sexist isn’t it?! ;)

So, I had to compromise and kind of “create” the bottom of the people by using a knife and other cutters I had to make them work without having to go out and buy more supplies.  I totally did not break even with this cake so I’m starting to re-think ever using ideas that aren’t my own as a basis again!  Whenever I make a cake idea from a company I always seem to spend WAY more than I wanted to.

I think it did turn out pretty cute though despite having to improvise.  Because I had to make 15 children I made them all different.  Here are some  close-ups:

The front:

IMG_8651 

The left side:

IMG_8655

The back:

IMG_8656 

The right side:

IMG_8658 

A little more to the right and around to the front a bit:

IMG_8659

I really had a fun time making this cake.  I had my own little emergency during it (like a trip to the doctor for an x-ray) but despite all that, I think it turned out pretty cute.  I really wish my people hadn’t basically melted because I tried to keep them but they turned to mush… Oh well, it was joyous to watch the kindergartener’s and their delight at this cake for them and there was pretty much a character on the cake that looked similar to each classroom child…The one little blonde girl in the class actually begged (and got permission) to take the little blonde girl home which I thought was sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment